The mining newspaper for Alaska and Canada's North

Articles from the January 11, 2015 edition

Sorted by date  Results 1 - 6 of 6

  • New JV chases copper, gold near Pebble

    Updated Jan 11, 2015

    Kijik Corp. and Alaska Earth Sciences Inc. Dec. 30 announced the formation of Chuchuna Minerals Company, a joint venture partnership to advance exploration at the Groundhog copper-gold project, situated immediately north of the Pebble project in Southwest Alaska. Alaska Earth Sciences, an Anchorage-based geological consulting firm that discovered the Groundhog prospect, will own 51 percent of Chuchuna Minerals; the remaining 49 percent will be owned by Kijik, the Alaska Native village corporation for Nondalton, the nearest... Full story

  • Progress report for Livengood

    Updated Jan 11, 2015

    International Tower Hill Mines Ltd. Jan. 5 reported progress toward optimization of the Livengood gold project in Interior Alaska. The 2014 program included metallurgical work; mine production scheduling studies; power supply alternatives review; and alternative camp reviews. The company says this work has developed an improved production schedule, as compared to the project's 2013 feasibility study and generated detailed work plans for 2015. These plans include additional metallurgical tests and engineering, including...

  • Good news at Golden Summit

    Updated Jan 11, 2015

    Freegold Ventures Ltd. Jan. 6 said results from recently completed metallurgical tests of the oxide mineralization at Golden Summit near Fairbanks are extremely encouraging. Gold extractions of more than 80 percent were achieved within 14 days on coarse crushed material. The column test was permitted to run for 65 days and final gold extractions were 85 percent. Freegold says these results compare favorably with earlier bottle roll test results on coarse crushed material. Results of these tests will be incorporated into the...

  • Redstar targets early 2015 exploration

    Shane Lasley, Mining News|Updated Jan 11, 2015

    With a new management team in place, roughly C$2 million of cash in the bank and an improved understanding of its high-grade gold mineralization, Redstar Gold Corp. is preparing to launch an early 2015 drill program at its Unga project, found in the Aleutian Arc of Southwest Alaska. Unga - where Redstar's 2014 surface exploration program grabbed rock samples with grades of up to 401 grams per metric ton gold and 266 g/t silver - is a high-grade gold property that encompasses... Full story

  • Northern Neighbors

    Shane Lasley|Updated Jan 11, 2015

    Northquest Ltd. Jan. 6 reported final results from its 2014 drill program at the Pistol Bay gold project in Nunavut. The best hole of the campaign cut 134.4 meters grading 1.36 grams per metric ton gold at the Vickers target. Twelve of the 13 drill holes completed at Vickers in 2014 intersected the gold zone. Northquest said this drilling extended the Vickers zone for 200 meters to the east of all previous drilling. The best hole at Vickers, previously reported, cut 221.7 mete... Full story

  • Pebble critics laud oil-gas drilling ban

    Rose Ragsdale, For Mining News|Updated Jan 11, 2015

    On the face of it, President Barack Obama's decision to place a ban on offshore oil and gas drilling in Alaska's Bristol Bay Region appears to have handed opponents of the Pebble Project another weapon in their ongoing fight to block development of the enormous copper-gold-molybdenum deposit. But Pebble supporters say a moratorium on petroleum exploration in Bristol Bay has little or no relationship to the merits of the mine project. Oil and gas drilling in Bristol Bay has long been a contentious issue, dating back to the... Full story